We have added rice back into our diet and, at first, it was tough to not eat rice everyday. We’ve found a balance and when we do indulge, we like cooking up paleo-friendly Asian inspired dishes. Here is a yummy chicken and broccoli meal for you.
2 boneless chicken breasts cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon of coconut aminos
1 tablespoon of chicken broth or bone broth
6 tablespoons of chicken broth or bone broth
6 tablespoons of coconut aminos
1 teaspoon of coconut oil
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons of minced ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons of arrowroot flour
Drizzle of honey
1 head of broccoli, cut into small pieces (we used the stalk too)
2 medium to large carrots, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
Lets get to the specifics…
- Stir the marinade together and add the bite size chicken pieces. Coat the chicken and set aside in the fridge for 15-20 minutes at least.
- Mix together the garlic sauce in a small sauce pan. Add the arrowroot last, a little at a time. This is a natural thickener. You may decide to add more or less based on personal taste. Once you reach the desired thickness, set aside. ***I have been know to double the recipe for the sauce, when I want a more saucy meal. It mixes up pretty fast and is easy to make more.***
- Optional – this is a good time to start your rice, if you want it.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to coat the pan. Once the pan is coated, add the chicken to brown on each side. When cooked through, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the skillet you just removed the chicken from and once melted, add the veggies and red pepper flakes. Stir for a minute or two to release the heat from the red pepper flakes, then add 2 tablespoons of water and cover for a few minutes to steam the veggies to your personal taste. Do remove the top toward the end to cook out the water at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet with the garlic sauce, cook for a minute or so to reheat all the ingredients.
- Top the rice, or not, with the chicken and broccoli and add the optional sesame seeds and green onions, if you’d like.
-Joel & Britni